Student research achievement – congratulations Serena!

We were delighted and impressed to learn this week that current 5th year BDS student Serena Dodhia has had an article published in Wellcome Open Research describing her research into vitamin D and the impact it might have on caries. Serena’s research grew from her intercalation experience, and she worked closely with our ACFs Tom Dudding and Simon Haworth to complete the research that forms the substance of the paper. She also had to contend with some challenging reviewer comments – a vital skill for any researcher but not always one that is learned so early in a research career!

Serena has reflected on her research and publication below. We would like to extend our warmest congratulations to Serena for this great achievement!

“Vitamin D supplementation is increasingly common and I was particularly interested in researching whether a protective effect existed against dental caries using a mendelian randomisation method. I received an INSPIRE Research Consolidation Studentship award to extend my research project from my intercalation year in Genomic Medicine. I really enjoyed developing new research skills outside of the BDS curriculum and have learned a lot about the peer review process. Thanks to my supervisors Tom Dudding and Simon Haworth for helping me along the way!”

https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/5-281