Caroline Clarke aiming for 2017 European Championships in eventing

Caroline Clarke will be attempting to gain selection to the GB team for 2017 European Championships in eventing.  Having already achieved fantastic success and competed in several international competitions, we’re sure everybody will be keen to wish Caroline all the best.  Here’s what she had to say:

“I have always enjoyed riding and took up competitive eventing as soon as I could aged 11. Since then riding has always been fitted in strategically around my studies. Moving to Bristol whilst leaving my horse in North Yorkshire has come with some family major commuting commitments. Monday mornings are never made more enjoyable by a 5 hour drive back in the late hours of Sunday night!

Hard work and training seemed to pay off and last year I was able to quite successfully compete in several international eventing competitions and upgraded to Advanced level. This was a bit daunting as I was not only one of the youngest competitors but also the sole non-professional. We had a very successful year, the highlight being winning Scotland’s main international event at Blair Castle. The reality of being a little fish in a big pond hit home when I was pushed into the press tent with a handful of my idols and could make no intelligent comment, for the necessity to gawk and appear flabbergasted was overwhelming. This win secured some essential sponsorship from TopSpec for the 2017 season.

This year we are kicking off the season early through taking part in a GB European team selection. Following last years performances we were short listed to take part in these trials, so on the 23rd of February with all fingers and hooves crossed, we’ll set off to Aston-le-Walls near Birmingham to hopefully be selected to represent the UK in the Europeans held in Poland this summer.”